Wednesday, February 3, 2016

For The Statistically Minded

Adolf works as a part time volunteer at the local community centre. An hour each week, doing a bit of financial data entry and analysis and, four times each year, a leaflet drop involving 1,200 leaflets stuffed into letter boxes.

I've just finished one such drop.  1,200 leaflets takes 480 minutes and covers 45 km.  Weight loss each time averages 1.5 kg.

Adolf has a long history of such activity.

During the 1972 Australian federal election Adolf jogged off 14 kg stuffing letter boxes and when living in Auckland, during Rodney Hide's leadership, Adolf dropped thousand of leaflets for the ACT party.  ACT always got my candidate vote but, being a loyal National party member, my party vote always went to the Gnats.

I always ignored 'no junk mail' signs and one day, on Sunset Rd, as I pushed the offending propaganda into the letter box, there was a shout - 'Can't you fuckin read?"

Quick as a flash the response - 'No mate, I failed NCEA.'

He was lurking on an upstairs balcony and I ran like hell.

8 comments:

Noel said...

"I always ignored 'no junk mail' signs"

Yeeeeah surely predictable for you to have no respect for others wishes.

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

Noel, read the rules. You're no longer welcome here.

Angry Tory said...

Lucky you weren't in Florida.

Noel's even luckier.

Nick K said...

You were a trooper in Auckland. You even helped out a budding local body candidate I recall.

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

Woops! 1,200 leaflets take 480 minutes.

Anonymous said...

I can see a movie in this story of high drama and courage in the face of adversity.

pdm said...

Noel - FYI.

A leaflet supporting Rodney Hyde and the ACT Party could never be considered `junk mail'.

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

Quite right, pdm.