Monday, April 27, 2015

ANDREW CHAN & MYURAN SUKUMARAN

In the next few hours Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran will be executed by firing squad on the Indonesian Island of Nusakambangan.    I have previously made it clear that while I am personally opposed to the death penalty I respect the right of sovereign countries to enforce their own laws.

This outcome was predictable.   The Indonesian Government, faced by a burgeoning hard drugs problem with an estimated 110,000 heroin addicts and 1.2m users of crystal methamphetamine, was never going to back-down in the face of considerable diplomatic and political pressure.  One might even argue that 'outside' pressure was likely to reinforce their resolve ... shades of the 'Ugly American' perhaps.

Reports have it that Chan and Sukumaran are preparing to meet their maker with dignity ... if such a thing is possible.    I hope they are at peace with themselves.

I repeat ... I am opposed to capital punishment but equally, I hope this serves as a further warning that, if you 'do drugs' in Indonesia, then be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.


 

8 comments:

The Veteran said...

If the report that Chan & Sukumaran have been denied their request to have the two Pastors who have supported them over the years present at their execution is correct then I condemn that action in the strongest possible terms.

No matter that I support the right of a sovereign government to enforce its own laws. This action is wrong. It is vindictive and cruel and totally lacking in basic human compassion.

This is a sad day for Indonesia.

Anonymous said...

The sole misgiving I have about these executions is that the Australian authorities dished them up to the Indonesians given they could've arrested them in OZ with the drugs. It is likely they'd be ready for a parol now after a stretch in an OZ gaol.

Cadwallader

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

And how long before they would have been back in business?

Anonymous said...

My qualm is that the crime wouldn't have been perpetrated until the drugs were on Australian soil. The OZ authorities knew it was arriving and ought to have apprehended the culprits and the drugs at arrival. It is not Indonesia's task to police Australians who choose to commit crimes in OZ.

Cadwallader

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

CAd

Not often do I disagree with you but the crime for which they were executed was committed in Indonesia.

You have raised the point that their arrest was assisted by the AFP. I notice in all the left wing effort to blame Abbott for the plight of the two criminals, people forget the AFP action took place on Julia Gillard's watch.

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

"If the report that Chan & Sukumaran have been denied their request to have the two Pastors who have supported them over the years present at their execution is correct then I condemn that action in the strongest possible terms."

Vet, in this case I'm with the Indons.

I suspect they did not want to run the risk of endless post-event interviews between the two pastors and the ghouls of Australian radio and TV.

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

In an earlier comment, I was wrong.

The arrests took place when John Howard was PM.

Anonymous said...

The crime they'd have faced in Australia would've been importing. The penalties in OZ are severe. The locus of the crime though is Australia hence the OZ authorities could've readily apprehended the 9 dealers. I do not say this to decry Abbot nor to defend drug dealers.
Cadwallader