Saturday, February 21, 2015

THE BALI NINE

In a few days time two Australians, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, along eight other foreign and Indonesian nationals will be put to death, shot by firing squad, on the Indonesian Island of Nusakambangan.

I have previously stated that, while I am personally opposed to the death penalty, I respect the right of a sovereign country to make and enforce their own laws.    It does concern me however (assuming the reports are correct) that Indonesia has previously intervened to save their nationals on death row in other jurisdictions.   That would suggest a certain double standard.

That aside, I think that Tony Abbott's ham-fisted attempt to link Australia's foreign aid programme to the plea for clemency is a dangerous move.   It will be seen by Indonesia as nothing more than crude economic blackmail.   No country likes to be threatened.   If anything, Abbott's comments will serve only to strengthen Indonesian resolve.    The 'quiet diplomacy' practiced by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop was the best and only way to progress the matter.

p.s   To my old mate 'The Realist' ... if being opposed to the death penalty makes me a bleeding heart liberal then I plead guilty.




12 comments:

Noel said...

Ham fisted is a bit lame. The man is an idiot. How did he convince so many people to vote for him?

Noel said...

"It does concern me however (assuming the reports are correct) that Indonesia has previously intervened to save their nationals on death row in other jurisdictions. That would suggest a certain double standard."

Has the Australian Government offered "blood money." I haven't heard that it has. Until they do I don't believe you can claim a double standard.

The Veteran said...

Noel ... the only people that actually voted for TA were those in his Warringah constituency where he had a majority of 0f 27,421.

He certainly didn't manage to convince 39 of his own MPs for him in the recent leadership spill motion.

For myself I think the 'Mad Monk' appellation is about right.

Noel said...

Aw gee Grigori wasn't that bad.

The Veteran said...

Noel ... the double standard I am referring to is the Indonesian government being prepared to intervene to save their own nationals from death row in other jurisdictions ... while putting to death those in their own jurisdiction.

Noel said...

I believe you are not listening.
Those were for murder, not drug smuggling where the practice of blood money was acceptable (for the families of the victims) and the countries where the murderers were incarcerated.

The Realist said...

Vet: not at all, I'm opposed to the death penalty too.

The Veteran said...

Noel ... I am listening. You're dancing on the head of a pin with your argument.

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

I see the Indon Pres is quoted from some weeks ago as saying unequivocally that he will 'never grant clemency to drug dealers.' He went on to point out that in fact such people are mas murderers who get kids hooked on heroin - for profit.

I say, good on him.

The Veteran said...

And that Adolf is precisely the Indon Govt posn.

Drill down and all the various arguments advanced in support of clemency are but a side-show to that essential element.

Noel said...

Death for narcotics trafficking and severe imprisonment for cannabis is clearly notified on entry. Can't say people haven't been warned.

The Veteran said...

Noel ... and still people allow 'other people' to pack their bags and then wonder why ......