Sunday, December 28, 2014

THINGS SAID IN RESTAURANTS

Nah, not referring to the time when I said to the waiter and in response to his query as to how I wanted my coffee and my reply that he was to make it like the women I loved ... black and strong ... and got this almighty kick under the table from Mrs Veteran (who has an English rose complexion) which bought tears to my eyes and beyond.

But when I went to a so called 'up market' restaurant which charges like a wounded bull to have the waitress turn up her nose and exclaim 'ugh' when I ordered my steak 'blue' ... that really got up my nose .... and in another restaurant ordering same to be told that the chef won't like that and would probably decline to cook it ... we left.

Anyone with similar cretinous service experiences?


7 comments:

macdoctor said...

In fairness, a blue (nearly raw) steak is about 3 times more likely to give you gastroenteritis than a rare steak. Waiters are often instructed by management to try and dissuade clients from ordering blue steak, in order to avoid liability if you get sick.

Of course, they could provide fresher, better kept steak, but that might cut into profit - having to buy smaller quantities more often and having better quality cold storage.

I have long since given up ordering blue steak and just order "very rare". Some chefs take pity and provide blue steak.

Tinman said...

I've never seen the attraction of a "blue" steak and they're a shit to cook when you're preparing a meal for a large table.

I've visited (once) several restaurants over the last few years that refuse to serve steaks other than medium-rare (by which they mean medium to incinerated).

I usually end up with the fish.

The Realist said...

Veteran! A blue steak? Good Lord man thousands of years of the civilising process suggests humans should eschew eating raw meat. You'll be chasing cars next.

Noel said...

Gezz why would you want blue steak. 10 seconds per side vs 4 minutes for medium.
What with e coli. listeria to name a few.

The Veteran said...

Gueez folks .... wots wrong with living dangerously? Actually the risk of bacterial infection is very low if the basic rules of hygiene are followed and the meat is fresh. Anyway, that's how I like it; a burnt offering leaves me cold.

Now, if you really want to push the boundaries try steak tartare (with or without the raw egg yoke). Goes down a treat lubricated by whisky.

Psycho Milt said...

I've visited (once) several restaurants over the last few years that refuse to serve steaks other than medium-rare (by which they mean medium to incinerated).

Bloody hell. So their message is either "our meat isn't fresh" or "we're crap at cooking." Best walk out without ordering anything...

The Veteran said...

PM ... a man after my own heart. Starting to worry a bit about 'The Realist' though.
Thought he was a real 'mountin' man and now it appears he likes Sushi and bean sprouts (not on the menu in the Ohinemuri Club I hope.