Sunday, October 12, 2014

THAT, I SUSPECT, WOULD SCARE THE 'SHITTER' OUT OF NATIONAL

It's important for the democratic process that there is a functioning and effective Opposition to hold Government to account.     Sadly the Labour Party is neither functioning nor effective and one suspects their leadership race will further exacerbate the divisions within that once formidable Party to the point where they are the 'official' Opposition in name only.

I few years ago I traveled from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City in the 'Reunification Express' (at an average speed of 37k).    I shared a sleeper with a North Vietnamese General.   We conversed in 'fractured' French.    One thing he said remains etched in my mind .... "I have fought the French and I no worry; I have fought the Americans and I no worry; I have fought the Chinese and I worry".   

Were I to apply that analogy and look at the state of the 'opposition' one cannot help but wonder if Labour were to split, with the 'moderates' joining with NZ First and the remnants aligning themselves with the Greens, and if Shane Jones could be enticed back from his Pacific 'holiday' to lead what would be a populist centre/left Party then, I suspect, National would indeed have a fight on its hands to gain a fourth term. 

Put simply .... Labour, in its present state, is finished.   If it were a dog (and it is a 'dog') I would ask my mate Gravedodger to shoot it and put it out of its misery.

Will it happen?    I suspect not.    The wish to preserve the labour movement coupled with monumental egos will militate against such a move ... and National will breathe a collective sigh of relief.  





2 comments:

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

They could only achieve such a state if peters conveniently died.

The Veteran said...

Adolf ... you mean you haven't heard. He's a blow up doll that they trot out every three years and breathe the breath of life into him.

Peters died on election night 2008.