Friday, August 1, 2014

LAST SURVIVING AIRMAN FROM THE HIROSHIMA BOMBING DIES

Theodore 'Dutch' VanKirk who was the navigator on Enola Gay and the last surviving crewman from the mission that saw the dropping of the A-Bomb on Hiroshima has passed away aged 93.     The story is here

No hand wringing from Mr VanKirk and clearly he was at peace with himself over his part in helping to bring WW2 to its close.     I think he summed up the situation perfectly when he said that, despite his belief that the atomic bomb saved both American and Japanese lives, it made him wary of war .... "the whole WW2 experience shows that wars don't settle anything and atomic weapons don't settle anything .... I personally think there shouldn't be any atomic bombs in the world - I'd like to see them all abolished but, if anyone has one, I would want to have one more than my enemy".

Amen to that.   Stand easy soldier, you did your duty.


2 comments: