Monday, April 21, 2014

"There isn't a single cereal in the supermarket that's nutritious".

When I visited a sports nutritionist about a year ago, she asked me what I usually had for breakfast.  When I told her, the response is the header of this post.  She gave me a recipe for homemade Bircher Muesli which I have made ever since.  It comprises seeds, nuts, rolled oats, dried cranberries, sultanas, shaved coconut, LSA and Quinoa cereal, all of which is soaked in Almond Milk and/or Coconut Water.  You need to give it 12 hours to soak, but the result, if you get it right, is sensational.  And not a drop of sugar in sight.  I usually knock it down with two Omega-3 capsules.

I stated to said nutritionist that I wanted to lose about 3-5 kgs so I could be lighter which could help in my running.  She went through my diet, and said I was eating far too much sugar and storing too much glucose, and to lose weight I needed to cut carbohydrates and sugar from my diet.  When I asked her about energy levels, she said to eat more nuts and seeds and raw vegetables and  also more unsaturated fats.  She gave me some examples.

Therein started my mini "revolution".  I lost 3-4 kgs in about 4 months,without doing anything except eliminating sugar and processed carbohydrates from my diet (as much as possible).  That meant no sugar in my black coffee in the morning; no muffins; no biscuits (and other sweet treats); gluten free bread; cutting down on pasta; and replacing all that with nuts, carrot sticks and hummus, lots of vegetables and more unsaturated fats (avocado, nuts, peanut butter, salmon skin etc).

When I realised I had more energy, and started feeling better, I took more interest in all of it, particularly what is now classified as the LCHF diet (Low Carb High Fat) diet.

The theory is this: You can store enough glucose for about two hours of exercise, or even to get you through the day with usual motions.  Your body is trained to "take" glucose first when needing energy, and leaving the fat stores alone until needed (i.e. until the glucose is used up).  You can actually store enough fat for about 8 hours of exercise, so it's a much better long-term source of energy.  But most people do not know how to utilise fat as a source of energy so it stays stored in the body.  The result?  You gain weight as the glucose is used as it is digested, but the fat just stays there because of the increased insulin that creates it from the glucose intake.  Result?  Increased incidences of diabetes (come in Psycho Milt).  

So the LCHF diet says, with a lot of common sense if I might add, that you eat no processed sugar, and very low carbohydrates, but a lot of unsaturated fat (both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated).  The body adapts to this starvation of glucose by utilising fat as a main energy source.  Your insulin levels reduce as well.

You could be excused for thinking "er, hang on.  If I eat fat won't I get fat, and won't I get heart disease"?

Well, it doesn't seem that will happen.  Eating fats and getting fat aren't necessarily related.  And heart disease isn't caused by eating fats, rather it is caused by being fat.  And being fat is caused by eating too much sugar and bread and the like.  There is more about all of this is, including the oft-quoted "Food Pyramid" in this YouTube clip - but be warned, it is 45 minutes.  But a very, very worthwhile 45 minutes (if you find the time).  A bonus in it is this blog (via Psycho Milt) gets a mention at 32 minutes - who would have thought - but that's the "Wisdom of the Crowd" as the YouTube author maintains.    

There is also more on all of this Wednesday on TV3 with Duncan Garner and "Third Degree".  Be sure to watch it, and whatever you do, don't buy cereal from the supermarket again because there isn't a single one of them that's nutritious.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scotch Oats with a little milk, no sugar. Healthy!

Anonymous said...

Nutrigrain does it for me

Psycho Milt said...

...this blog (via Psycho Milt) gets a mention at 32 minutes...

Damn, that feels good. Being part of the wisdom of the crowd is exactly what blogging is about.

The stuff in that video about "The vision of the anointed" and their Grand Plans we all must be made to follow for our own good is like a description of Uni of Otago's Department of Public Health...

Nick K said...

Pat yourself on the back, Milt. And the plans of the anointed can refer to lots of things, not just diet. That's why I'm for limited government.

Simo said...

Bang on the money PM, done the same - 3-4 kgs without any massive increase in exercise, eliminated the bread for starters that made a difference straight away, the sugar got removed now about 75% less in the diet, still need a little now and then to fire up the burner. Upped the proteins, egg and tomato in the mornings, fish, cucumber & avocado, meat fish & veg for tea, NO CARBO AT ALL. the 3-4 kilos haven't returned. 59 years old and feeling quite a bit better for the change.

The Realist said...

Go to mercola.com for the gen on this.

Shane Ponting said...

Weetbix Multi-grain for me, but I suppose the fact it's on a supermarket shelf means it's evil?

Nick K said...

If it says 35% sugar, it will actually be double that. Sp yeah, pretty evil.