Thursday, November 7, 2013

CHRISTCHURCH

I spent last week in Christchurch doing 'gods work'.   Endeavoured to arrange a meeting/drinks with my co-blogger Gravedodger but alas, that was not to be.   Back again for another week later this month so perhaps second time lucky.   I digress.

This was my first opportunity to view the CBD since the earthquakes.   TV doesn't prepare you for it.  A ghost-like area inhabited, in the main, by tourists looking sombre with only a few oasis of life in the form of the 'container' inspired re-start programme.    But pervading everything is the noise of jackhammers and diggers and heavy vehicles as the deconstruction/reconstruction gathers pace.

Had business in Merivale/Papanui and those two areas appear to be booming.   I suspect the challenge will be to get those firms ex the CBD who have relocated to the suburbs on medium term leases to move back into the city when it is up and running.    Time will tell.

Christchurch is full of imported labour.   The Irish pubs have never had it so good.    I spoke with one major employer who bemoaned his inability to attract locals to carry out basis labouring jobs.    To my mind any unemployed local who can walk and chew gum at the same time (and ok, guess that excludes many from the dark side of politics) should be in work and if they can't/won't make the effort then their benefit should be stopped ... end of story.

p.s.   my rort story.   My cell phone was having a hissy fit so I made a LOCAL call from my motel accommodation.    29 minutes and $37.40 later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Live and learn.  



No comments: