Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kiwi Icon - `The Maggot Pack - Is Dead and Gone

Yes that is right - the Meat Pie was dead and buried at the BakelsSupreme Pie Awards late last week when in their collective wisdom the judges gave the Supreme Pie Award to a - wait for it - gingered Peach and Pear with Cointreau Pie.


Gingered Peach and Pear with Cointreau - that is a bloody pudding surely.

What happened to a good old fashioned Meat Pie - known through most of my life as a `Maggot Pack'? While not a huge fan these days of a mince pie I do enjoy a good plain Steak or Steak and Onion or Steak and Kidney pie and I sure would not waste my hard come by dollars on one of those winning pie.

To ensure sanity returns next year I nominate the following to be judges for the 2013 Supreme Pie Awards:
Piri Weepu, Parekura Horomia and a bloke I know from Wellington who had the nickname `Two Pie' at his place of employment because he had two meat pies for smoko most mornings.

2 comments:

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

You mean a 'Maori Roast' eh boy?

pdm said...

lways thought the Maori Roast was Fish 'n Chips Adolf.