Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Bloody motorist, well arsehole anyway

Recently on a winding state Highway, I was riding along very far to the left of the road, minding my own business and enjoying the wind in my face and the sun on my legs, when a lone motorist drove up behind me and started to dominate the lane we are to share as equal status road users.

Yes equal, but as a much more vulnerable cyclist, I understand the person driving the killing machine is required to consider ALL road users and must not drive too close to the left so as to avoid "squashing" the cyclist. 

There are a proliferation of signs on Hwy 75 and other main roads ( but those signs are not a hazard, funny that), asking motorists to slow down, and to use caution around bends, and to watch for cyclists - all safety measures I support but zero signage as to how a motorist must actually behave.

After being threatened and cut off by this particular arrogant prick for some kilometers and having had about 300 meters of very wide sealed verge alongside the roadway when he first came up to pass me, I was more than a little exercised when finally having an opportunity to pass to discover he had no rego, no WOF, no rear view mirror and his eyes and hands were following a mobile phone number list as he proceeded to send a text message, but preventing any meaningful ability to see me or other road users as he nonchalantly and arrogantly enjoyed the roadway I helped fund directly through my taxes, ACC levies and petrol tax (when I drive) while he was paying nothing at that time.

Motorists wonder why so many cyclists become angry with their idiotic behavior.

4 comments:

gravedodger said...

Terribly rotton luck the bastard had no rego plate nik but you may have had a win if you gave plod the make model and color, it worked for me a few years back when a scroat inflicted a hit and run on my daughter in Masterton and we nailed the prick with that basic info.
Red Holden ute wasn't much but it was enough.

KG said...

Well, it's a pity some braindead inconsiderate gangs of cyclists don't have rego numbers too.

Ciaron said...

I find trucks the worst at leaving room for cyclists.

Declaration: I own, register, Wof, fuel and maintian 2 cars, so with the tax on that lot, I pay may share for the road :)

Tinman said...

Making an awkward right hand turn today from Peterbrough St to Barbadoes St in poor visibility I was shocked but not surprised to have a typical cyclist slowly ride across my bows travelling the wrong way.

The cycle scum was unlicensed, had no registration, paid no ACC levy and had no third party insurance to cover damage his idiocy caused to innocent motorists.

Luckily for me but unluckily for the world as a whole I was good enough to miss the bastard instead of running over and killing it.