- Advocated a $10,000 tax free threshold.
- Announced a flat personal income tax rate of 20%
- Proposed that all income received by trusts, LAQCs and companies be taxed at 25%
- Foreshadowed a new law making the provision of advice the intent of which is to reduce, avoid or evade income tax a criminal offense subject to serious jail time.
- Introduced a tax payer's lottery whereby each week a personal IRD number would be drawn out of the hat and the weekly winner would receive back all his income tax for that year.
- Increased GST to 17.5%
Numbers 4 and 5 are the real kickers. Any serious reform of tax laws has to put the boot into the tax avoidance industry.