The chorus has been led by some longstanding and loyal commenters here at No Minister and has centred on an alleged failure to move quickly enough to slash gummint spending - in particular to cut social welfare benefits and reduce the overall number of public servants. Adolf has engaged from time to time when the mood has taken him but often he has let the jumpers up and down vent their spleen on the grounds that arguments made previously but ignored will continue to be ignored. (Had some of these chaps been around in 1940 they would have had Hitler and Tojo defeated by September 1941.)
These guys have finally decided to get off their soap boxes and put their theories to the test. My my spies tell me a new party is to be formed.
It's to be called the Hammer Party and it's raison d'etre is to hammer the New Zealand economy into shape. The manifesto will include, among others, the following immediate measures:-
- Abolition of the DPB
- 20% reduction on the number of core public servants
- Abolition of unemployment benefits for more than six months in any rolling two year period.
- Abolition of Working For Families
- Abolition of interest free student loans
- Immediate sale of TVNZ and Radio NZ
- Sale of mining licenses for parts of the DOC estate
- Repeal of the ETS
- Generous taxation breaks and other incentives for the establishment of one or more nuclear power stations.
- Disbanding of at least thirty Gummint 'Commissions' including the Race Relations, Children's and Families commissions.
- Sale of the gummint's shares in Air New Zealand
- Progressive sale of Landcorp's commercial farming properties.
- Partial float of all other gummint commercial operations at the earliest opportunity.
- Disbanding of the Waitangi Tribunal over five years.
- A 40% reduction for tertiary education funding.
But principle is only half of the battle. Staying in power long enough to implement one's policies without doing serious and lasting damage is the other half.
It may not have escaped the notice of our more alert readers that within a very short time the membership of the new Hammer Party will be described widely as - you've guessed it - The Hammeroids.