A quick round up
1. Labour think that the ETS scam should get more teeth to screw over NZ business quicker. What a winning idea for them. But I would recommend false teeth, in keeping with the theme. Sadly Nick Smith probably agrees with them.
2. Government awards itself a pay rise, backed dated to July. Key urges a freeze. How about legislating a freeze. Maybe he could have just urged an increase in GST.
3. My bet is that the Crafar farms will end up with Landcorp. I don't know why governments thinks they are better farmers than private individuals. Wasn't that tried in some part of the world with disastrous results. I guess having our money to play with makes farming easier. No pesky bank managers to annoy them when they write the big cheques.
4. The MMP referendum next year will be a shambles with MMP being retained. The media will wallow in it. Politicians and 100's of thousands of people who rely on them for a living will breath a sigh of relief. The status quo will continue - as long as Bill can bring home the $300,000,000 bacon each week. But I do sleep easier knowing that Bill guarantees we will be back in surplus by 2015. That's a big relief.
5. There is a very strong probably that there will soon be trouble in Korea. The South Koreans will be unwilling to back down and actually have the steel to sort things out. You don't rebuild a country in 50 years by stepping backwards. Our troops had better be on the first plane to Busan to help our friends out.
6. Our national past time of child abuse will continue unabated as no government can solve the problem by social engineering, when that is also a big part of the problem. The only real solution is showing the perpetrators no mercy whatsoever. Keep it simple- 20+ years imprisonment with no bail.
7. I was going to mention Phil Goff but can't think of anything worthwhile to say. For some reason the word twilight comes to mind. Is Goff now the stuffed man?
Anyway, Merry Christmas to all and I wish everyone a safe and prosperous New Year
Ashton Kutcher on opportunities
22 minutes ago