Friday, November 5, 2010

A Faafoi Easter

There's a wonderful old Easter hymn 'Were You There.....?'

It's based on a Negro spiritual and the haunting melody was running through my mind the other day, as I was looking at a depiction of the crucifixion by one of the old masters. In fact, the picture was of the trial before Pontius Pilate.



You know, I'd swear I could see Chris Faafoi in the background, advising Pilate on the legal niceties.

Were You There
By: Negro spiritual

Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
Oh, sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?

Were you there when they nailed him to the tree?
Were you there when they nailed him to the tree?
Oh, sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.
Were you there when they nailed him to the tree?

Were you there when they laid him in the tomb?
Were you there when they laid him in the tomb?
Oh, sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.
Were you there when they laid him in the tomb?

Were you there when God raised him from the tomb?
Were you there when God raised him from the tomb?
Oh, sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble.
Were you there when God raised him from the tomb?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was probably Faa away.

Anonymous said...

Its ironic that you can write that then endorse a politician.