Wednesday, September 1, 2010

THIS FROM 'RIPLEY'S' BELIEVE IT OR NOT

During my latest sojourn 'across the ditch' I decided to take memsahib, sister, b-i-l and nephew out to dinner.
Found a nice restaurant on the shores of Lake Macquarie and enjoyed a very pleasant meal supplemented by a few bottles of NZ and Australian wine.

Came time to leave and I fronted the cashier proffering my Mastercard only to be told "No cards, no eftpos that will be $256 cash please".

Hmmmmmmm, don't make a point of carrying cash ever and that pile of dirty dishes mounting up in the kitchen was starting to look ominous. Back to the table and with everyone emptying their wallets, purses onto the table found we could muster $261. Went and paid defying the cashiers pointed stare at the 'tips' bottle.

So, if ever you feel the urge to dine at 'Paulies Restaurant' well, you have been warned.

Does anyone know of any other mid to good level restaurant in Australasia that doesn't take credit cards. Tell us as a public service.

11 comments:

Kiwi Trader said...

I am sure the Australian IRD would be very interested in a business that only took cash in payment.

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

You've got to be extremely careful of any stories by Ripley.

Brad Heap said...

Plenty of them. Since moving to Sydney at the start of the year I have been caught out many times. Now if I have anything less than $100 in my wallet I know I need to get more hard cash out... it is insane.

The Realist said...

Happens in NZ too. I talk to the IRD should suffice as Kiwi Trader suggests.

pdm said...

At the Chinese retaurant at Twin Towns Coolangatta/Tweed Heads you have to pay for the wine separately.

You can pay by card though.

adamsmith1922 said...

Aussies - primitive

CB said...

Kahve in St Heliers has no EFTPOS.

Pain in the arse and I have sworn never to go there again.

The Gantt Guy said...

Agree with others. It is very common for service businesses (restaurants, cafes, etc.) in Melbourne to not offer EFTPOS facilities. Basically, they're cheap and don't want to pay the backhander to the card facililty providers, and because if it's in cash the taxman doesn't need to know about it. Bloody frustrating.

FAIRFACTS MEDIA said...

Oh things could be worse.
A few days back in Quebec city a waitress got most upset we were only tipping her ten per cent.
She wanted 15% and moaned about her pension.
After asking were we were from, she added "Enjoy the rest of your stay in Canada. Stay in your own country next time!"

Anonymous said...

Good on them. The day that we lost sight of actual cash going out and made the card king was the start of the decline.

I pay cash for almost everything but it doesn't make me dishonest.

As for you IRD tipsters, God help you because no one else will. Yeah, I know Mel Gibson said that before me.

WAKE UP said...

Simple: ask at the beginning. No card facility, no eat.