Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Quick, nuke Copenhagen while all the hypocrites are gathered in one place

I can't get too excited about this Copenhagen "last chance to save the planet" bullshit. Not that I'm a climate change denier, just a skeptic. It seems plausible enough to me that if you chuck gigatonnes of a greenhouse gas into the atmosphere every year it'll have an effect; but if the questions of what effect and how much of one in what timeframe are being answered by some computer models someone thought up, I don't really want to bet my tax dollars that the answers are worth a damn.

"But!" I hear you cry. "The world's most disreputable politicians are gathering in Copenhagen right now to bet shitloads of our tax dollars on it!" Well, I'm not so sure they are. We're talking about politicians here, and we're talking about a voting public who may be wallowing in feel-good crap about 40% emission reductions right now, but won't have thought for a moment about what such a reduction would actually do to their lives. I question how game the world's politicians will be to force voters to put their money where their big, bullshitting mouths are.

My money's on a rerun of Kyoto: there'll be a lot of rash promises, backed up with little action. Key will "commit" to emissions cuts of whatever percent, in the certain knowledge that there isn't the slightest chance of meeting that commitment. Others will do the same, and nobody will really be in a position to poke the finger at anyone else. Eventually, either we'll be in the shit and our entire effort and ingenuity will be directed to finding solutions to a problem that actually, demonstrably exists - or we'll be laughing at how stupid people were back then in the early 2000s. Hard to say which at this point, but running round like Chicken Little isn't called for either way.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that my guilt... scam... warming tax is aspirational and not realistic therefore I would like to hold onto it until the science is conducted without political or monetary interference.

Besides if John Key feels its important to pay, maybe he can cover the tab.

WWallace said...

Good post. Please tell Danyl. He seems to think that it's a great excuse for spending more of other people's money, and hasn't figured out yet that it's all horsefeathers.

deitynigel6888 said...

I really hope so Milt. Regrettably I am increasingly certain that the "progressive" agenda is trying to move us closer to world government, and this is just the current mechanism. They may not get us all the way there this time, but this is COP15. I remember at COP4 respected commentators were saying this mechanism wasnt working and we didnt expect more than another couple of rounds.

So I wouldnt underestimate the persistence of these people, and remember that big changes are achieved in small steps by people who are playing a long game.

Time to turn off the tap I think, after all, as a wise man said:

"I'll believe there's a crisis when the people telling us there's a crisis start acting like there's a crisis".

Private jets and limousines don't sound like the behaviour of believers.

That said, your opening premise is entirely reasonable - pollution is obviously a bad thing, and we should minimise it. Calling CO2 a harmful chemical (as the US has just done) strikes me as a bit extreme however...

Psycho Milt said...

"I'll believe there's a crisis when the people telling us there's a crisis start acting like there's a crisis".

I think this goes to the heart of why nothing will come out of Copenhagen, and is why I gave this post its title. If you're still considering a private jet and a limo service absolute necessities, I'm not particularly interested in hearing how you need me to bung you wads of cash to reduce carbon emissions (through some obscure, magical process).

The science is another matter. It seems obvious enough that carbon emissions are going to cause us trouble, I just suspect a lot of what we're hearing right now is rank alarmism based on computer models that aren't worth shit. Propose some useful mechanisms to reduce pollution and encourage moves to renewable resources and I'll be all for it - but propose jacking up prices so money can be traded by financial scammers and handed over to corrupt Third World officials to no useful environmental effect, and strangely enough I'm not going to be enthusiastic.

Anonymous said...

There's no problem with global warming that a few Miniuteman-III LGMs can't solve.

Anonymous said...

Copenhagen is a pointless, useless talk-fest about a non-problem. Where I get fully lost is that were it a real issue and if a treaty of some description is generated from the gathering: How could it ever be enforced? Why can't a country agree to everything proposed in the talk-fest and then blithely ignore the proposed obligations? Is there to be a police force created which will have the power to invade miscreant nations at will and tax/persecute its citizens? Uh-oh!

Cadwallader

Lou Taylor said...

The politicians at Copenhagen couldn't give a shit what the outcome is. They will just be happy to carry the debate onto the next round and have it paid for. This is a long term game.

erikter said...

Imagine how desolate and heartbroken AF will be for losing shonKey after Copenhagen is nuked.

He may even make good on his promised to shift to Oz.

Dispatches1879 said...

Nohopenhagen UPDATE:
(sorry I dont know how to make them clickable links)

http://bastardoldholborn.blogspot.com/2009/12/as-if-by-magic.html

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/12/08/the-smoking-gun-at-darwin-zero/

baxter said...

Yeah where is Osama when you need him. On the other hand perhaps the wise old Kaumatua will come up with the solution, whether they do or not it will be necessary for them to hold many Hui when they come back.

Heine said...

I must say, hearing the nonsense that this is the "last chance" ever to save the earth made me chuckle. WTF is going on? How can people get away with writing such nonsense?