Tuesday, September 29, 2009

THIS IS WRONG


Ok, I guess I am going where Angels fear to tread but the sight of mourners (Shane Jones and others) at Sir Howard's funeral wearing RSA poppies is offensive.

I know my old colleague and fellow Vietnam veteran, Sir Wira Gardiner, would argue that Marae protocol would have it that it is acceptable to exaggerate to make a point but I suspect that he would draw a line over this.

Sir Howard may be considered a 'warrior' in terms of the entertainment industry but to the best of my knowledge he was never a soldier entitled to the respect earned by those who served their county in uniform.

And the pity of this is that Sir Howard would never claim that particular honour.

9 comments:

JC said...

It was a red rose.. Howie's favourite flower.

JC

The Veteran said...

No JC, it was the RSA poppy (c/w tab) on Shane Jones (and others) chests.

Anonymous said...

Looked liked roses to me

Anonymous said...

Don't watch brainless TV and spare yourselves from exposure to such drivel.

JC said...

I've looked at some of the photos.. most are wearing roses but one or two have a poppy.

JC

Anonymous said...

this is plain mean-spirited

The Realist said...

It is said that of the 5000 mourners at his funeral, only 3 had to take time off work

Kevin said...

The suit hire shops must have done a roaring trade. Quite tidy looking attendees. Not the usual.

dad4justice said...

I am glad I am not the only one offended by the RSA poppy display. These are not soldiers and never will be.