It was Adolf who slipped to Whaleoil the remarkable account of Fijian corruption, murder, bribery, prostitution, vote rigging and blackmail orchestrated by deposed PM Qarase and his cronies. A story which could have come straight out of the New York Mafia of the thirties. It's a one meg pdf.
(Detractors will point to the checkered history of the author who is a wealthy crook himself. They need to be reminded that it needs a crook to blow the whistle on other crooks. Such is the history of the US Mafia and its dismembering at the hands of the authorities.)
Whaleoil has produced an excellent summary of a document which makes for riveting reading - all two hours of it.
Of particular interest is the way in which the corrupt administration:-
- put up the dim witted Qarase as a front man while the clever, scheming murderous Navi Naisori called the shots in the background.
- bought off the Methodist Church which then, to its eternal shame, directed its illiterate members from the pulpit to vote for Qarase's party;
- bought off the votes of semi educated Fijians by delivering to their villages hundreds of tractors and outboard motors on condition the villagers were instructed to vote for Qarase's party;
- corrupted the police force to the degree that police officers removed the seals from ballot boxes in ten marginal seats and stuffed them with bogus votes for Qarase's party;
- Lined their own pockets with millions of dollars, squirrelled away in Australia,New Zealand and Pakistan. Adolf calculates that when all the corruption in 2006 is added up, it is likely these guys skimmed close to 10% of GDP. A massive $160 million.
Helen Clark and Winston Peters assisted the criminals by sending their biggest drongo, Booboo Hobbs, up there to loudly declare the election fair and above board.
For the first time, one can see the insidious influence of Australia at work. Backing up and covertly assisting a corrupt regime because it 'was easily controlled and would do Australia's bidding.' Interestingly, there was no mention of any New Zealand involvement in this dirty work.
The most extraordinary revelation of all however, is the casual ease with which murder was planned as a last resort if bribery and blackmail did not bring the right people 'on side.'
This story needs to be publicised loud and clear throughout New Zealand until Messrs Key and McCully realise the futility of their slavish adherence to the failed policy of the Clark/Cullen regime and its blind MFAT bureaucrats.
Commodore Bainimarama needs to tell the world some of the lurid detail of what Qarase and his vassal Council of Chiefs were up to and the world might just start to listen. So far logic has not worked so now perhaps it's time to focus on the salacious sleaze, dirt and dishonesty which was Qarase and his illegal, crooked, unconstitutional and abjectly corrupt SDL government.