Adamsmith 1922 over at The enquiring Mind has been drooling over The Top Ten Kiwi Tucker Icons. Adolf has always been a bit of a tooth man so, for what it's worth, here is my ten penneth worth.
Right at the very top of the list is NZ's traditional national dish.
1. Roast lamb (Merino/South Suffolk cross - killed at 14 months) and mint sauce, accompanied by steamed new potaoes, fresh green peas and sweet corn on the cob, all with lashings of butter.
2. Carefully prepared Maori hangi - pork, mutton, potato, kumara, beet root, puha.
3. Steamed pipi, cockles and kutai (mussels) with lots of fresh bread and butter.
4. Steamed Tarakihi or Hapuka with mashed potato and kumara (combined) and plenty of fresh greens. Plenty of salt and cracked black pepper along with lemon juice over the fish.
5. An eighteen inch long slab of sirloin steak, turned on the char grill for forty minutes while continually basted in a brew compising red wine, worchester sauce, tomato sauce, hot chilli sauce, garlic, soy sauce, balsamic viegar and any thing else which gets in the road. Black on the outside, nipple pink in the middle. Char grilled vegies on the side.
6. Steam pudding with custard sauce.
7. Roast chicken with roast vegies and silver beet. Lotsa gravy.
8. Bacon and eggs with baked beans and tomato.
9. TipTop Icecream
10. KFC for South Aucklanders.
3 minutes ago