Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Enjoying a golden autumn


There’s nothing like an autumn drive across the fine New Zealand countryside.
I have just arrived in Picton after 3 hours on the Arahure Interislander ferry.
Now, I was supposed to be heading south relocating a campervan for a hire firm so I pay bugger all for it, , but since I don’t like vehicles with manual transmission, I was able to swap for a huge Mitsubishi 4wd auto, still paying bugger all.
As wise move as it turned out. I spent last night in Ohakune and there was frost on the roadsides as I drove towards my first interview.
Why rough it in a little campervan when you can have all the comforts of a decent motel? The one I had been given was not at all like the luxurious Winnebago bloggermobile David Farrar enjoys on his adventures.
I am having what you might call a working holiday, interviewing various provincial businesses for one of the business titles I work for.
Trouble is, combining the work with the driving has left insufficient time to catch up with people properly or at least give them fair warning. The unpredictable and busy traffic on the Kapiti Coast Highway does not help either. It’s almost as bad as Auckland yet the hillsides, the houses and the railway get in the way of any simple road widening. The capital certainly needs Transmission Gully and a motorway to Levin, at least.
But roads are being improved, even in the very hilly Wanganui District, where SH4 is as twisted as the government we booted out in November. The autumn colours on the trees looked particularly good, just as they did in the Waikato and King Country yesterday, passing west of Hamilton.
I also enjoyed the snow early on Ruapehu and the mountain’s pinky-orange glow at sunset as I arrived at the carrot capital just after 5pm yesterday.
So tomorrow, after working in Blenheim, I hope to pay homage again to the homes of Wither Hills and Alan Scott. I might even get some of that bottle fermented beer his son Joshua makes.
Then it’s Kaikoura, some decent kai moana before heading to the Garden City to drop off the car late Friday.
After catching up with ACT blogger Rick Giles over the weekend, I expect I’ll be ready for heading back north early next week.

1 comment:

Here I Stand said...

Ah yes, cracker frost here in Wanganui, heading for another one tonight. I love my wood burning emission producing log fire!