The Sunday Star-Times says its survey of Kiwi beliefs shows New Zealand First voters are more prone to believing in conspiracy theories.
New Zealand First voters were more likely to believe that. . .
* New Zealand is constantly manipulated by big business (70 percent believed this);
* The All Blacks were poisoned before the 1995 world cup final in South Africa (47 percent);
* The US government knew about or planned the 9/11 attacks (52 percent);
* A secret elite cabal controls world affairs (38 percent);
* Princess Diana was assassinated (38 percent);
* World governments are hiding evidence of alien visits (35 percent); and
* Elvis Presley faked his own death (5 percent).
But the report added one important caveat, showing there are some beliefs that are truly embarassing.
Just 60 people said they were New Zealand First supporters, but according to the survey's creator, Marc Wilson, this figure is still sufficiently large to draw sound statistical conclusions.