If the Left truly want a 'fair' election in 2008, and beyond, here's how it can happen:
- State fund every political party to the tune of $3,000.000.00 to be used for the 2008 campaign. That amount is each party's cap and covers everything, including broadcasting. No private fundraising is permitted.
- The penalty for exceeding the cap is deregistration of your party, and imprisonment for the party leader and the party secretary.
- Parties have until next Friday, 30 November 2007, to register for the election. This gives the current parties enough time to sort their shit out, and allows legitimate organisations wishing to contest the election just enough time to sort out a name, find 500 members and register. It is also just enough of too short a timeframe so as to prohibit 'wacky' organisations to partake.
- Parties currently in Parliament are allowed no extra funding, whether through Parliamentary Services or their own funds. Current Parliamentary Services funds for parliamentary parties are extinguished six months prior to polling day which is announced on Waitangi day - February 6th.
- The Electoral Finance Act/Bill or any electoral law whatsoever is repealed. There are no election laws for spending, save for the $3,000,00.00 cap.
- I reiterate, the $3,000,000.00 can be spent by the parties as they like.
- The above process would allow parties as even a playing field as you could get and a balanced contest of ideas.
- After the 2008 election, all parties who were successful at the election must partake in multilateral, bipartisan talks to enact electoral laws that are representative and equitable in accordance with the voters choices after the fairest election in monetary terms this country has ever seen.